Sunday 14 June 2009

Time for a Sandwich





It was a few years since I had visited the RSPB reserve at Hodbarrow near Millom,so with a forecast of continuing summer weather, I left with brother Dennis for a trip to the Cumbrian Coast. It was a journey of about seventy miles passing through delightful scenery with wonderful views of the Coniston range of mountains,looking impressive in the summer sun. Having negotiated the very rough access track to Hodbarrow Point we found we virtually had it to ourselves with very few people about. The tide was beginning to push in and we looked forward to action from the colony of Sandwich Terns which nest on the nearby lagoon and make frequent flights to and from the Duddon Estuary with food for their young chicks.
There was indeed plenty of action during our stay and I enjoyed myself trying for decent shots of the terns. I found it difficult to follow and focus on the birds as they passed by  and the results were passable but I know I can do better and will return. The very bright sky and white plumage of the birds seemed to fool the camera and exposure was not correct but brother and I had a very enjoyable day out and enjoyed this very quiet part of Cumbria. We even had a trip down the road to HMP HAVERIGG where the inmates have recently been in the news. A very interesting area to visit and worthy of a retun at some stage, and maybe to also have a look at another tern colony on Foulney Island on the other side of the Duddon Estuary. The images above show a couple of my best efforts with the sandwich terns,the lighthouse at Hodbarrow Point and a general view of the lagoon and nesting area for the terns at RSPB Hodbarrow.

6 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds a superb spot Brian and you have managed a cracking couple of images - I think 'Sarnie' terns are really smart birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your short commentary on your day at Hodbarrow withe the pic's at your usual high standard. Will talk some more on the 'churchyard' issue I made to you on my blog, meanwhile nothing for you to concern yourself about Brian.

    My sincere Best Wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got really great images of the Sandwich Terns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great images of the Terns Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are very nice photos, Brian. And for someone who never gets to see such birds it is a rewarding experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everybody for looking and your nice comments.

    ReplyDelete