Saturday 15 August 2009

Sandpiper Trio





I hadn't visited RSPB at Marshside for what seemed many months so Wednesday pm found me at the Junction Pool looking at a very nice Wood Sandpiper. I had seen it reported on the internet and as I hadn't seen one for many years decided on a trip to Southport. The wood /sand was occuping a well vegetated area at the top of the junction pool and of course at the furthest point away from the viewing screen. Still good views were obtained by visiting birders through the telescope and I managed one or two reasonable shots with the long lens. I think the wood sandpiper is one of the most elegant and beautiful of freshwater waders and I understand a handful of pairs breed in remote parts of Scotland.
After enjoying the wood/sand I visited the Sandgrounders Hide where it was extremely quiet as all the breeding avocets have now departed and the wintering wildfowl and geese have not yet arrived. Eventually a common sandpiper flew in and gave very nice views as it fed just in front of the hide. I went back for another look at the wood/sand before heading home. The Green Sandpiper , the third of my trio was seen a few weeks ago at Newton Marsh and was photographed in failing light as it fed on  the roadside pool. I hope to catch up with the green/sand again and obtain some much better images but it could prove to be difficult as they can be very wary and flighty. I have shown my efforts with these three sandpipers and really only the common came close enough to show plumage detail. I look forward to seeing the other two sandpipers again at some  future date.

5 comments:

  1. These are grand,am going to find a hide and try and emulate your work, suspect it will take a while. Can imagine the dog being a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice trio of shots Brian.They are all indeed lovely birds to see, never mind photograph.
    Looking forward to our next meet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your post of the sandpipers, Brian.

    I have the issue of "breast feeding" on my main blog today Pick a Peck of Pixels

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done you. I think I might have a wander over to Marshside tomorrow....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi all,

    The sandpipers are a large family, Scolopacidae of waders or shorebirds. The majority of these species eat small invertebrates picked out of the mud or soil. They have long bodies and legs, and narrow wings. Most species have a narrow bill, but otherwise the form and length are quite variable. The bills are sensitive, allowing the birds to feel the mud and sand as they probe for food. Thanks a lot......

    Wildlife Photography

    ReplyDelete