Wednesday 18 January 2012

Lucky For Some








Last Friday was the 13th of the month,I am not sure but I think it is supposed to be unlucky. For me however it didn't turn out that way.I had returned to the mosslands of South West Lancs where a number of short eared owls were still around. The weather had at long last settled down and frosty nights and bright sunny days followed the very disturbed wet and windy weather that seemed to have been with us for many weeks. These conditions were ideal for the owls to come out of hiding and begin hunting again.

I joined a number of photographers present and we enjoyed what was to be a red letter day providing many opportunities for some action images.It was quiet for a while around lunchtime but in the afternoon the short eared owls came out to play.They seemed to come at us from all directions and this made it difficult to estimate the numbers present. There definitely seemed to be four and possibly five but they put on a great display and we all " filled our boots " with hundreds of images. The bright and sunny conditions meant fast shutter speeds could be used to freeze the action.

I have posted a few images from a hectic afternoon's action and hope my readers get some idea of what it is like to be in and amongst these magnificent raptors. An excellent afternoon was enjoyed by all those present and the weather ,company and action from the owls made for an unforgettable afternoon. It had indeed turned into a lucky Friday 13th and one I hope to experience again before the owls return to their summer breeding areas. Thanks for looking in and I will be back soon with hopefully more action from the shorties.

5 comments:

  1. really gorgeous! there was luck, but a lot of skill involved, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is called 'getting carried away with the shorties' Brian.

    Great stuff as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful action shots, made all the more special by the beautiful light. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Short-eared owls are my favorite species of owl to see, and they look spectacular in that golden light and against that great backdrop!

    ReplyDelete