Tuesday 14 February 2012

Up Close....Sanderling.







Prior to last week's visit to see the barn owls, Martin,Dave and myself had spent time at Rossall Point,Fleetwood watching the high tide wader roost.It was a pleasant day cold but bright and was ideal for some close up work with the roosting sanderling. The sanderling which gather at Rossall Point on a high tide are very confiding and allow a close approach with the camera gear.

We all three had a great time and at times the sanderling came too close for focusing with the big lenses.Dave was trying out a new low level support for his camera which allowed eye level contact with the birds.Both Martin and I were also able to shoot from a low level and get some intimate portraits of these beautiful little waders.

Sanderling are one of my very favourite birds and I am looking forward to returning in a month or so when the birds will be moulting into their colourful breeding plumage prior to their departure to their High Arctic breeding grounds. A few images from hundreds I took are shown above for your enjoyment.

5 comments:

  1. sweet little sanderlings :-) love your photography!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favourites too Brian, a smart little wader and some smart images of them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brian

    First off all, thank you very much for your advice relating to future lens purchases. I do really appreciate it.

    Next, I love these shots and especially the last one with the birds side-by-side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These low-level close-ups are just exquisite!
    Such pictures could make the delights of nature artists!
    The light is stunning and so are the fine details on the feathers!
    I can only imagine the fun you had!

    ReplyDelete