Saturday 29 September 2012

Otter Watching

Yesterday I visited Leighton Moss to see what was about following the floods earlier in the week. You definitely needed wellies to get around the reserve as most of the paths were flooded.A quick look at the marsh pools and new hides yielded a nice shot of a passing little egret. I moved on to the main part of the reserve hoping to see some red deer stags later on. I firstly paddled through the floods to the public hide where I was to spend a couple of hours or so watching feeding otters. The otters were always very distant but were very active and eventually one did come just within range of the big lens and a couple of record shots were obtained.A couple of young grebes were present but otherwise it was very quiet.I finished my day down at the Griezdale hide hoping for a sighting of red deer. Roaring stags could be heard but nothing showed whilst I was there. Many coots were present and I enjoyed trying to capture the action as they panicked trying to evade some sort of threat.I have posted a few shots from the afternoon.Record shots of the otter, the grebe showing his paddle foot and an action shot and portrait of the coots. Thanks for looking in and enjoy the weekend.

6 comments:

  1. An enjoyable account with excellent illustrations of your day at Leighton Moss Brian. The Great Crested Grebe's feet are something a little more than unusual aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprised you didn`t need waders Brian ne mind wellies.Nice pictures from your day at the moss and I`m sure its only a matter of time before we`re looking at some cracking pictures of red deer stags,see you soon !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely account Brian. I would love to see a wild Otter, well done with the shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great account of your day at Leighton Moss Brian,as with me everything just to far away for the lens,never seen feet like that before,catch up with you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice account of your day Brian, hoping to get back up there soon to hopefully see the stags!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brian
    I have been remiss lately in not commenting but making the best of the weather and all that. My immediate vocal reaction to that Coot image was 'Good Grief', really caught all them there coots at Leighton Moss. Looks like you had a good day and great to see/know the otters are still there. Good to see you at Rossall. Best W
    g

    ReplyDelete