Monday 5 August 2013

A First and a Second

On Saturday I had the good fortune to be invited to photograph the two barred crossbill that had been discovered at Browsholme Hall ,Bashall Eaves.This was the first time this bird has been seen in Lancashire and it is indeed a national rarity. I understand there are some currently in Shetland but it is a very scarce bird and one I was lucky to see. The crossbill was coming to seeds at a bird feeding station in a private garden and during my stay returned to feed three or four times. It was a juvenile and lacked the colour of the adult birds but the prominent double wing bar was a striking feature of it's plumage. The images below are the best I could manage and at no time was I able to get all of the bird in shot.It was however an interesting encounter with this scarce visitor to our shores and Mike and I would like to thank Barrie and his wife for their hospitality during our stay.

On returning home I was enjoying a coffee when I noticed an insect hovering around a phlox plant in my garden.I immediately recognised it as a humming bird hawkmoth.I rushed upstairs for my camera and managed to grab some images before it departed. I had seen one a good number of years ago feeding on fuschia in my garden.I was thrilled at managing to capture some images of this striking moth which again is another uncommon visitor to Lancashire.All in all an exciting Saturday and once again thanks to all at Browsholme Hall for the welcome and opportunity to see their special visitor.





 

6 comments:

  1. A couple of 'goodies' for you Brian with the rare nationally, and first for Lancashire Two-barred Crossbill, and the Hummingbird Hawk moth, of which photographically my personal preference is for the moth with your four excellent images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning shots of the Hawkmoth Brian, I've only seen one and that was in a garden in Borowdale, some years ago now.
    All the best Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great set Brian, lovely HHM shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice shots Brian, a couple of special sightings :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A hummingbird Hawk moth is not something you see every day! Wonderful images of that, Brian. Two beautiful species.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great day out Brian,finishing of in your own back garden with the stunning hummingbird hawk moth,just goes to show how being alert with your eyes open what might turn up.Very well done.

    ReplyDelete