Wednesday 27 November 2013

A Day At The Seaside







Last week I had a day visiting Rossall,Fleetwood and Blackpool.There was a reasonable high tide which would be ok for the waders at Rossall and Fleetwood and I planned to watch the starlings come in to roost at Blackpool's North Pier.Things didn't quite go to plan however and the waders didn't show at their usual roosting spot on the beach at Rossall Point.Maybe the tide wasn't high enough or they have now moved elsewhere.All was not lost however and I amused myself photographing  dogs,ships and general scenery.A juvenile lesser blackback ( I think ) provided an image or two as it fed on a thornback ray { I think } brought in on the tide.The highlight however was as I was leaving to discover a female stonechat feeding on the edge of the golf course.This bird was very obliging and gave great opportunities for some nice portrait shots.These are ones which should please PW !!
I then called in at Fleetwood Marine Lake where there was a nice group of Red Breasted Mergansers patrolling the lake.Another nice surprise here was to find a purple sandpiper roosting in the sun with the turnstones on the island.My final port of call was the North Pier at Blackpool to wait for the arrival of the starling roost.They did eventually arrive but there were not many birds,this may improve over the next month or so as more birds arrive.The lack of starlings was compensated however by a lovely sunset painting the sea and sky.Hope you enjoy the various images above from my day out at the seaside and thanks for looking in.   

2 comments:

  1. A regular of the golf course edge during the winter months the Stonechat Brian and certainly did please PW....never fails. Many thanks for your continued interest and support of Birds2blog it is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds and looks like a wonderful day out Brian,the stonechat a very nice bonus and I`m sure the starlings will not disapoint.

    ReplyDelete