Thursday 6 February 2014

Morecambe Mix












This week I paid a visit to the Morecambe area as another high tide was due and I was hoping for some wader roosts along the coast.I first paid a visit to the site where ten years ago the 23 Chinese cockle pickers sadly lost their lives.It was a sunny day and an offshore wind kept the high tide at bay.I moved down the coast to just outside Morecambe where some waders were roosting at Teal Bay.I then noticed a large group of oystercatchers further along the promenade roosting on one of the many protective rocky groynes.I spent some time photographing the oystercatchers as they jostled for the best positions as the tide advanced.The light was excellent for photography and the results are shown above.

I then drove along the promenade into Morecambe.I couldn't believe my eyes when I spotted a fox out on one of the groynes. It had become stranded as the high tide came in and was sitting it out until the tide went out again.It was enjoying the afternoon sun and gave some nice opportunities for the camera.Curious passers by wondered what I was watching and soon numbers of people came to observe the fox.Unfortunately the fox was led down whilst I was there and I didn't manage any shots of it showing its tail or legs but it was still a rare opportunity to photograph a seaside fox.I spent some time waiting for it to move and again missed my opportunity as it was mobbed by crows and suddenly vanished into the rocks

The finale of this splendid afternoon was when a peregrine falcon suddenly arrived and spooked the roosting waders.It didn't take any prey and moved on to harry the town pigeons. I managed one quick shot as it sped by.It had been a very nice session with the camera and with pleasant weather for a change.Hope you enjoy the oystercatcher and fox images above and thanks for looking in.Hope to post images and an account of recent visits to the wader roost at Hoylake in Cheshire very soon.  

4 comments:

  1. A stunning set of pics Brian, I must be useing the wrong equipment, yours are so clear and sharp
    All the best Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gordon. Thanks for kind comments..I was lucky in that the light was perfect in Morecambe which of course helps with clarity and sharpness. Let's hope for some decent weather soon..we deserve it !!

      Delete
  2. Excellent images of the birds of Teal Bay Brian. I felt quite sorry for the Fox stranded on the groyne at high tide.

    I really must have a run out with you sometime, I'm prompted to say that with your mention of your trip to Hoylake....next time perhaps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great images once again Brian,looked like there was plenty going on with the peregrine and another fox well done.See you soon.

    ReplyDelete