Tuesday 25 March 2014

Frosty Hares








Yesterday morning found me out and about in some of my favourite areas of Bowland.I had decided on an early morning visit as I have found that this is the best time to observe the wildlife. My primary objective was the brown hare which can with a bit of luck be approached closely using the comfort of the car as a mobile hide.Yesterday morning was perhaps the coldest so far of what has been a very mild and very wet winter.

It was around -3degrees with a heavy frost adding to the beauty of this lovely part of Lancashire.I have shown above a couple of images of the vale of Chipping seen from on top of Longridge Fell and down at valley level showing the heavy frost whitening the fields.It was quite good for hares with a dozen or so seen on my travels around the quiet lanes and backroads of Bowland.I have shown a few images above of the brown hares and you will be able to see the ice on the hare's whiskers as they waited for the warmth of the early morning sun.I have also included a shot of one of the curlews which are now returning to these upland fields to breed. Hope you enjoy my selection from the first of what I hope are many early morning forays to see the wonderful and varied wildlife of Bowland.Thanks for looking in.

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos!
    Best regards from Poland :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We`re so lucky to live in this wonderful counrtyside Brian,and with a bit of effort of an early morning start makes it look more beautiful than ever Brilliant images of the hares in the frost and early morning light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful photos Brian - worth getting up early for!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second everything said before me Brian....EXCELLENT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so lucky to experience wildlife. Luckily, i chose industrial photography to be my profession. I was out with the team for the industrial shoot and it was wonderful experience. These pictures are very rare and beautifully captured.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marvellous photos Brian,just wished I could have joined you mate.Work unfortunately gets in the way of my past time,but needs must as they say.Catch up with you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely hair pictures! I've been trying to locate some but not having much luck at the minute!

    ReplyDelete