Wednesday 7 May 2014

Bowland Mix








I have returned to Bowland yet again this week to catch up with the wildlife.I have been out mainly in the evenings and driven round the usual back roads and quiet lanes of this special part of Lancashire.The usual birds that make Bowland their summer home are now becoming more abundant and it is wonderful to hear and see curlews and lapwings displaying over their chosen territory.Brown hares are still also showing well and can almost be guaranteed to pose for the camera at certain locations.

The one surprise this week was the sighting of a tawny owl late evening as it perched in a tree not far from the roadside. I got into a position where I could use the big lens from out of the car window and managed to get some reasonable images. It was difficult not to find a few branches obscuring parts of the owl but I was very happy with the result.The tawny owl is one bird I had never photographed before and this was an ideal opportunity to try for some images for the portfolio.I will be returning to the area and hopefully catch up with the owl again.

I have shown above the best of the owl images and also other wildlife seen on my travels.Birds in Bowland like to perch on  walls and fenceposts and I was lucky with a nice wheatear perched just a few yards from the car.Also posing nicely was a redshank ,pied wagtail and an oystercatcher. I have also included a shot of one of many bluebell woods seen recently,they are now at their very best for colour and perfume and make any journey memorable through the Lancashire countryside in this wonderful month of May.

2 comments:

  1. Great account of your trip to Bowland Brian,showing images of the wonderful and varied wildlife on our doorstep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very nice mix of images Brian,love the Tawny owl shots,so elusive these days.Usually heard but not seen!!

    ReplyDelete