Saturday 31 January 2015

A Golden Week









This last week has been very wintry with snow showers and very strong north westerly winds.The coastal parts of Lancashire escaped the worst of the weather. East Lancashire bore the brunt with many schools closed and disruption to traffic.I spent time in the Glasson Dock,Pilling and Cockerham areas and did all my photography from the comfort of the car.

The highlight of the week for me was the presence of over fifty goldeneye duck on Glasson Dock basin.This is the most goldeneye I have seen together.I took advantage of the opportunity to take many images of the birds as they fed along the sides of the canal basin.The wind was very strong and frequent wintry showers peppered the birds as they battled the waves.This made for some interesting action shots from these handsome birds.I have shown above a few images of the goldeneye but will probably post more at a later date.

Another golden bird delighted me as I discovered good numbers feeding alongside a busy road between Cockerham and Pilling.I was able to pull in at the side of the road and grab some images as lovely golden plovers fed alongside lapwings,curlews and redshanks.The roadside fields held hundreds of waders and I will post more images of these waders in due course.I hope you enjoy the above images of the goldeneye and golden plovers and thanks for looking in.

2 comments:

  1. Brian....Some excellent images here of the Goldeneye on the canal basin at Glasson Dock. This is a first record as far as I'm aware of such numbers of Goldeneye on here, my best count being 58 on two ocassions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great images of the Goldeneye at Glasson Brian,the Golden Plover is a bird that I haven`t photographed yet I see a trip to the Pilling area imminent.

    ReplyDelete