Saturday 24 October 2015

YVP and MM











Yarrow Valley Park and Martin Mere were the two locations I visited this week hoping for a sighting of a kingfisher.Yarrow Valley Country Park is a well known spot to see a kingfisher at close range.The kingfisher seems to appear at this time of the year and has a favourite fishing spot close to a footpath much used by walkers and dog walkers.On this occasion it didn't show but I understand it is around and hopefully I will catch up with it on my next visit.It was very quiet but a heron provided my best shot of the day as it preened and enjoyed the afternoon sunshine before taking flight.

The following day I was back at Martin Mere to see what was about at the Ron Barker Hide.This is another very reliable place to see kingfishers and one usually shows up on most days.One did appear but only briefly and was rather distant for anything other than a quick record shot.The star of the day however was the stoat which had shown well on a previous visit. This time it had made a kill and very quickly sped past the hide with what looked like a vole in it's mouth.A marsh harrier also showed well and was constantly mobbed by a carrion crow.The harrier put all the teal up and gave me a nice opportunity for a flight shot. A few more whooper swans had arrived since my last visit and again kept me busy with thecamera.All in all not a bad week but the weather is definitely more Autumnal now with wind and rain and the clocks go back as well .Time moves on but I will be out and about again soon .Thanks for looking in.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Brian,just read through your latest posts,looks like you have been quite busy of late!love the stoat shots,very difficult to get near as a rule!Catch up with you soon!

    ReplyDelete