Saturday 24 December 2016

Christmas Waxwings

There are now numbers of waxwings in Lancashire.They have filtered down from further north and have been seen in a few locations in the county.Some visited Preston but proved very elusive and very mobile as they searched for food.Lancaster also had a number of waxwings scattered around and again they were flighty and proving difficult to track down.This last week I noticed from information on the internet that around fifty birds were visiting a rowan tree in the car park of the White Horse pub close to the centre of Lancaster.They were being seen daily so it seemed a good spot to visit for another fix of waxwings.

I arrived at the location on Thursday early afternoon.There were a couple of birders/photographers already there and I was told that the birds were coming back to feed at regular intervals but had not been seen for half an hour or so.I decided to stay therefore and got geared up for some hoped for action.Sure enough the waxwings did return,at first in small groups but eventually around sixty birds were present at the top of the tall silver birch tree which overlooked the area.

Eventually in typical waxwing behaviour they all descended to feed in their smash and grab fashion before returning back to the top of the birch tree.By now sunshine was lighting up the top of the lookout tree but the berry laden rowan by the entrance to the pub remained in shadow.The next hour or so was spent watching and photographing these delightful birds in company with a few other birders including employees of the RSPB who have sight of the waxwings from their office.At times the birds were too close and it was difficult picking out a target for the camera.

However I was well pleased with my efforts the best of which can be seen below.It was for me a wonderful Christmas present and well worth the effort and time spent in the pursuit of these fabulous visitors from Scandanavia.I hope you all enjoy the next week or so of festive activities and I wish all my fellow bloggers and photographers a very Happy Christmas.I may make one more posting before the end of the year showing some of my favourite images from another busy year.















No comments:

Post a Comment