Saturday 18 February 2017

Yarrow Valley...Valentine's

I hadn't visited Yarrow Valley Country Park for some time.I had heard that the kingfisher had been showing well recently at it's usual spot so I went for a look.As I arrived David and Jackie Moreton were just leaving having spent a couple of fruitless hours waiting for the kingfisher to show.I went to the channel between the top and bottom lakes and joined half a dozen or so other photographers waiting patiently.

Eventually around three o'clock the kingfisher suddenly appeared and all the cameras were in action.The kingfisher stayed for around an hour,perching,preening and catching fish.Although the light is never just right at this spot I would have thought that everyone went away happy with their efforts.As well as the kingfisher a handsome male goosander appeared nearby and provided some nice opportunities for the camera.The usual nuthatches,robins etc were also coming frequently to seed left for them.All in all then Valentine's Day at Yarrow Valley had been excellent with good company and a brighter day for a change.Some of my better efforts from the day are shown below.Thanks for looking in and I will be back soon.Enjoy the weekend.










3 comments:

  1. Always nice to see the kingfisher brian,surprising how you can go to a spot and nothing there,then all of a sudden target appears.Luck of the draw mate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you`ve had a great day out with great images to match Brian.Hope to catch up with you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to meet you at Mere Sands Wood on Wednesday Brian. Thanks for your comment on BirdGuides, sorry but this was the only way I could think of to contact you. I've put the Bittern shot on my blog (gt-birding-scrapbook.blogspot.com) and some more photos will follow shortly. Like many other bird photographers, I do most of my posting on Facebook nowadays, but I only use it for birding stuff. If you've not tried it, have a look at our L..O.S. pages here: www.facebook.com/groups/leighos and www.facebook.com.groups/leighosnaturephotos Your very welcome to join and it's all free. All the best, Martyn.

    ReplyDelete